« DRI Front Buffer Handling and KMS | Home | GDB + Debug Board »

June 28, 2009

OpenStreetMapping with a FreeRunner

I noticed there were some big holes in the OpenStreetMap the area around here, so I took my FreeRunner out and acquired some GPS traces using TangoGPS.  Using a script from the OpenStreetMap wiki, it was simple to convert from the log file format of TangoGPS into a GPX file for import into OpenStreetMap.  Then I could draw over the lines to create this nice-looking map of the area.  I also tweaked a few other features around the town in the map.  It's not perfect, but it's much better than the large empty patch which previously existed in the west of the town.

I found the map-making process to be quite fun.  I found out a few things I didn't realise about the shapes of roads and areas, and even discovered one or two streets I never knew existed.

Leave a comment